Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Making painting textures with hot glue.

I have been working on a small series of paintings recently that involve the city Chicago. It happens to be my favorite city in the states so I choose to to use photos I took in the city as the source of my inspiration.

The second of the three painting series, I choose to use hot glue to literally draw an image onto the canvas. With how quickly it dries and how well it holds its shape, I think this is a great method to get interesting patterns for paintings.

The process to make this kind of painting is not too complicated.



The picture above demonstrates the three steps that I took in creating the type of painting below. First off, the demo up above was made on paper.
Now the first step was to cover the surface in the desired color I wished to show through hot glue. In this case I choose a layer of black. I used acrylic just because of how quick it also dries.

Afterwards, I draw directly onto the black what I wished the pattern to be then hot glue the pattern onto the canvas. The painting below took 4 bags of glue to make. It was completed on a 30x46" canvas.

Afterwards I covered it in a layer of oil paint and wiped the paint off the hot glue in the areas I desired to create the effect below.


Something to keep in mind concerning what types of effects you would like to use with the hotglue. Hot glue does not set completely clear. As you aply more layers of hot glue atop each other, the cloudier the glue gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment